Friday, August 16, 2013

Non-Toxic Homemade Toddler Toothpaste

TODDLER TOOTHPASTE CHALLENGE
PART I

Orajel® Toddler Training Toothpaste with Thomas & Friends
Have you read the back of your toddler toothpaste tube for the "safe if swallowed" ingredients?

Here is the product label from the Orajel Training Toothpaste that I have in my sons' bathroom (yes, the one with the Thomas the Train picture on the front). The part that concerns me is the "when used as directed". Unfortunately my two year old doesn't understand the concept of spitting, so he ingests a pea sized amount twice a day.  If I can avoid it, I'd rather him not have propylene glycol and methylparabens floating around in his system on a daily basis!

So what's the alternative? Glad you asked!! Make my own, of course. (Why??? my husband continues to ask as if I didn't have enough projects on my plate...)

What if there was a toddler-friendly toothpaste that could be delightfully squeezed out of an adorable, reusable squeezy pouch? (Like these. Thank you Squooshi).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xiHZrW3SQds/Ud6vWdh6DwI/AAAAAAAAFqk/tzagcfObAOU/s320/SQUOOSHI4PACK.jpg
The recipe I am going to use has been tested and recommended by Wellness Mama.
And here is what it is supposed to look like.



Since Peppermint and Cinnamon are probably too spicy for the little ones, I am going to use doTerra's
Citrus Bliss, Wild Orange, and Spearmint essentials oils for flavor. Kindof a "Tooty Fruity" flavor.

Stay tuned for updates later this week...

TODDLER TOOTHPASTE CHALLENGE
PART II

...Ok, we're back and now for the TOOTHPASTE UPDATE:

In a nut shell, the recipe from Wellness Mama (while noble and brilliant in theory), just flat out tasted really bad. Even after doubling the amount of Xylitol (natural sweetener), and upping the drops of essential oils for flavor.  I think it's the calcium carbonate that makes the whole mixture taste metallic. I also had to tone down the baking soda and find something to make the mixture more smooth, less pasty, and less gritty over all. (The original formula seriously hurt my gums from the abrasion).

So, I found this recipe for a toothpaste gel on The Organic Sister blog. I thought a gel might work better and that maybe I could combine some of the elements from the remineralizing recipe.

After several attempts, I think I found a good middle ground!  Here are my secrets:

Homemade Tooty Fruity Toddler Toothpaste:

Ingredients:


1 Tablespoon Vegetable Glycerin
1 Tablespoon Aloe Vera Gel
4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon Calcium Powder
1 tsp Baking soda
3 Tablespoons Xylitol
5 drops doTerra's Citus Bliss Essential Oil
3 drops doTerra's Wild Orange Essential Oil
1-2 drop(s) doTerra's Spearmint Essential Oil

1 tsp Distilled Water (optional - if you want your gel to be more liquid)

Directions:

Combine first 6 ingredients in food processor and blend until very smooth. If adding water, do so and blend again. Finally, add the essential oils and blend to incorporate.  Fill your squeeze pouches and seal the deal! (I used a pair of household wire pliers to seal the pouches REALLY well). Test the pouch over the sink to be sure you don't have any leaks! (I learned the hard way).









No comments:

Post a Comment